MHSAA State Playoffs: Five Potential Great Games
Inside Prep Sports/By TJ Kelley
Good thing the state playoffs are here to remind us that spring is near and as Michiganders we have to hope that the weather is kind. Last season's most anticipated playoff match up was the eventual Class A State Champion, Romulus, and Pershing in a down to the wire quarterfinal at Calihan Hall. Last season's Southfield Christian/Allen Park Inter-City Baptist regional final would be a close second. This year, one can assume that there are more than a handful of highly anticipated games with the "State Championship" tag.
No matter what anyone on Wayne Road or Buffalo or Columbus says, I'm still waiting on my state championship shirt from Romulus for providing chalk-board material. However, if someone says, "They didn't pick you to be here or make it this far" just remember the hard work, dedication, and passion you as a player put in to control your own destiny. Go make history one W at a time!
Here are the state's most highly anticipated playoff match ups:
1. Detroit Consortium (17-2) vs. Mt Clemens (19-1) at West Bloomfield High School in a Class C Quarterfinals- Tuesday, March 18- Since the beginning of the season or even before Flint Beecher accepted last year's Class C Championship trophy, this was the match up many have thought would decide the 2014 Class C State Championship. The top team in Class C has rising stars while the state's top player has overlooked teammates.
2. Saginaw (13-7) vs. Saginaw Arthur Hill (15-4) at Clio in a Class A district opener- Monday, March 3- This is the only guaranteed game on this list. The district game that everyone talks about year after year takes center stage today as the rivalry will more than likely end barring a miracle that will keep Saginaw High School open and disrupt the expected merger. The winner of this game has gone on to the Class A semi-final six of the last nine years winning four state championships alonf the way.
3. Detroit Pershing (17-2) vs. Muskegon (20-0) in the Class A state championship game at the Breslin Center- Saturday, March 22- If this happens like many people think it will, this arguably is the most anticipated Class A state title game since 1999 when Ann Arbor Pioneer defeated Saginaw Arthur Hill. This won't be the mythical state championship game.
4. Grand Rapids South Christian (19-1) vs. Wyoming Godwin Heights (20-0) at Wyoming Kellogsville in a Class B district semi-final- Wednesday, March 5- This season's records are as obvious as the few miles seperating the schools and the winner of this game is the favorite to make it as far the state final by defeating Otsego in the quartefinal followed by a defeat of Cadillac in the semi-final before meeting up with either Detroit Douglass in the Class B state title game.
5. Detroit Pershing (17-2) vs. Ypsilanti (18-2) in a Class A quarterfinal at Calihan Hall- Tuesday, March 18- These teams met in the second week of the season with Pershing hanging on to win, 57-54. This game has plenty of star power and the winner will more than likely face Muskegon in the Class A state championship.
Follow Inside Prep Sports on Twitter @ScoopIPS